Lewis Hamiltons ‘DNF’ in the last race (his only failure to finish this year) has left the final race of the year hosting a three way fight for the title for the first time since 1986. All the calculators have been out working on the permutations for what will give who the title. Hamilton is on 107 points, Alonso 103 and Raikkonen 100. Hamilton will be champion if:
* He wins or finishes second
* He finishes ahead of both his rivals
* He finishes no lower than second if Alonso wins
* He finishes no lower than fifth if Alonso is second
* He finishes no lower than fifth if Raikkonen wins
* He finishes no lower than seventh if Alonso is third and/or Raikkonen is second
* He finishes no lower than eighth if Alonso is fourth If Alonso if fifth or lower and Raikkonen finishes third or lower.
Of the 16 races so far this season, only TWO have NOT fallen into one of these scenarios!
For Alonso to win, the Spaniard must:
* Win with Hamilton third or lower
* Finish second with Hamilton sixth or lower
* Finish third with Hamilton eighth or lower, and Raikkonen failing to win
* Finish fourth with Hamilton lower than eighth, and Raikkonen lower than second
Of the 16 races so far this season, only TWO HAVE fallen into one of these scenarios!
For Raikkonen to be champion, the Finn must:
* Win with Hamilton sixth or lower and Alonso lower than second
* Finish second with Hamilton below seventh and Alonso lower than third.
Of the 16 races so far this season, NONE of these scenarios have happened!
Statistically, Hamilton should do it!